We work in some of the world’s most delicate marine environments. Out of respect for these finely balanced ecosystems, we are always finding new ways to raise the environmental standards not just expected of our own fleet – but of the industry as a whole. Here are some examples of how we are doing just that.
- Working with NGOs and the Scientific Community we developed line weighting protocols to minimise bird bycatch which have since been adopted throughout CCAMLR fisheries as the compulsory industry standard.
- We sponsor PhD students researching the sensitive Southern Ocean ecosystem.
- We have developed fishing practices to dramatically reduce our bycatch levels.
- We join industry colleagues in researching Southern Ocean Orca and Sperm whale behaviour and populations to try and understand and mitigate catch depredation
- We have developed automated surveillance systems providing both us and the fishery authorities video coverage of every hook set and every hook hauled, every day that we fish. A vital tool for both compliance and research